Well, I started playing around with dreamweaver 8 today. I have been using cfeclipse pretty much exclusively for my coldfusion development for a good 3-4 months now and have been loving it. But I was going to buy studio 8 anyway (more on that later) and so I thought I would go in and give dreamweaver another spin. I used dreamweaver mx 2004 from the day it came out till the day I started using eclipse not long ago and didn't really mind it much, although it wasn't as geared towards coldfusion development as much as cfeclipse. The only thing I really missed in cfeclipse was the rds abilities. I don't use code generation or any of that stuff, I always write everything out by hand, and so dw didn't really offer all that much more to me. And now, after playing with dreamweaver 8, I will probably stick with my cfeclipse. I will continue to use dreamweaver for all of my design needs, html/css layout, that sort of stuff. But for my coldfusion needs im going to stick with cfeclipse.
That being said, I will revert back to dreamweaver from time to time, especially for working with clients that are used to dreamweaver mostly. And so my first order of business was to change the default template for the .cfm and .cfc filetypes in dreamweaver. The one for the cfc's was particularly bad. So, just so you know, if you want to change any of the templates that come up when you create a new filetype, you just need to go to
C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8\Configuration\DocumentTypes\NewDocuments
and open up the documents there and edit them, save them and then dreamweaver will start using them. If you installed dreamweaver/studio to a different location your mileage may vary, but this should get you close. And in case you are wondering this is what I have changed my default .cfc template to be:
<!--- Constructor Methods --->
<cffunction name="init" access="public" returntype="any" output="false">
<cfreturn This />
<!--- Public Methods --->
<!--- Package Methods --->
<!--- Private Methods --->
As you can see I have added my comment header at the top to try to force me to use it.
oh, and I also had to change that horrible yellow color behind the comments! That was seriously hurting my eyes after a while. So I changed it to a #F3F3F3 instead. Just enough to notice it, but not cause permanant retina damage!
Posted on Tue. September 13, 2005 by Ryan Guill #